Abbey Players

In late 1960 a small group of friends got together to do a one off show to raise money for the University Appeal. The driving force was Frank Tucker aided and abetted by Val Treharne and  Adrian Howells. The first meeting and reading of The Boyfriend was at a member’s house in Cwmdonkin House, Terrace Road. The first show was performed in January 1961 at The Llewellyn Hall. It was such a success that the group were invited to perform at the Waterford International Festival of Light Opera in the Autumn of that year 1961. As some of the original cast , and the Producer, were unable to go to Waterford, the show was recast and David Thomas  was appointed as Producer. The Abbey Players were named after Singleton Abbey where they first  rehearsed, and made many visits to the Waterford Festival in Ireland, where they won many awards over the years. The society eventually, outgrew their “home” at the Llewellyn Hall in the YMCA and moved to the Grand Theatre, presenting shows on a much bigger scale.  Musical shows are always held in the Swansea Grand Theatre in November. A very friendly society in which new members are always welcome. The shows are always produced by professional  producers.

Description of Organisation:
Annual amateur theatrical show staged annually in November at the Swansea Grand Theatre. Tickets are available from the Grand Theatre box office on 01792 475715 or through our ticket secretary Mrs Anne Williams Tel. 01792 230007..

Address: Brynmill Primary School

Website: www.abbeyplayers.co.uk

Contact Name: Ms Gaenor Thomas
Position In Organisation: Secretary

Contact Address: 1021 Carmarthen Road,
Fforestfach,

Contact Telephone: 01792 420198

Contact E-mail: mgaenorthomas@ntlworld.com

Opening Times: Rehearsal times: Mondays & Wednesdays 7.15 - 9.30pm at Brynmill Primary School.

Share

Leave a Reply